Novak Djokovic’s father has hit out at the vaccination necessities threatening his son’s aspirations of claiming a document twenty first grand slam title at the Australian Open.
Srdjan Djokovic recommended the World No. 1 ‘probably won’t’ compete at the Australian match in January resulting from a compulsory vaccination coverage akin to “blackmail”.
“Of course he would want to go with all his heart,” Srdjan informed Serbia’s Prda TV.
“Because he is a sportsman and there are a lot of our people, the (Serbian) diaspora, there who would be delighted to see Novak.
“But I really don’t know if that will happen. Probably not under these conditions, with this blackmail and when it’s done that way.”
Djokovic, who contracted COVID-19 in the course of the 2020 Adria Tour occasion, has to this point refused to reveal if he’s vaccinated.
If he does go to Melbourne, the nine-time Aussie Open champion can break a tense tie with Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal – with the trio all at present holding 20 grand slam titles.
“We’ll see. We’ll have to wait and see,” Djokovic just lately stated about his probabilities of competing at the Australian Open.
Match director Craig Tiley threw a spanner within the works for Djokovic by reiterating the Victorian state authorities’s stance that solely vaccinated gamers will be capable of compete at the Australian Open, which runs from January 17-30.
“Everyone on site, the fans, all the staff, the players, will need to be vaccinated,” Tiley stated at the match’s official launch.
“There’s been a lot of speculation about Novak’s position, he’s said it’s a private matter.
“We would love to see Novak here, but he knows he needs to be vaccinated in order to play. He’s always said that the Australian Open is the event that puts the wind in his sails.
“We have been speaking to Novak and his team and they understand clearly that in order to come and play in the Australian Open they need to be fully vaccinated.
“They know that it’s a condition for everyone, not just the players, but the fans and all the staff and he had indicated that it’s a private decision for him and at the right time he will tell us.
“I know that he wants to play, he’s clearly indicated that and he knows the conditions that he would have to undergo in order to be eligible to play.”
Tiley stated worldwide gamers have been at present going by the journey visa course of with the Federal authorities whereas entry for the Open closes in December.
“Entry in here will be determined by around early to the middle of December on the entry deadline,” Tiley stated.
“In the next couple of weeks you will have really good indication of where everyone’s at because at that point there’s an official list of who’s going to be here.
Tiley said seven-time champion Serena Williams had told him she would return to attempt to draw level with Margaret Court’s record of 24 grand slam singles titles.
Osaka, who has not played since the US Open, has also confirmed she will be in Melbourne, while Australian star Barty started her preparation at her Queensland base this week.
Tiley said players had responded quickly after Victorian premier Daniel Andrews’ double vaccination declaration.
“At that point there was only about 50 per cent of the players that had been travelling were vaccinated,” he stated.
– With AAP